Wednesday 14 October 2015

Hey, I put some new shoes on and suddenly everything is right!

Don't you just love it when you find a song that beautifully matches what you are thinking!? Paulo Nutini - new shoes seriously love that man, and that song!

So yesterday I gave into the fact that my boots really were beyond repair and I really did need some new ones.
 I will hang onto a pair of shoes until they are literally falling apart at the seams. One pair I had (I still have them in the back of my wardrobe! Ha!) literally collapsed and I was walking around on the side of the shoe...like those fake ugg boots people wear, not a good look. I had had them for years, walked 1000's of steps in them, I had finished college wearing them, I even found out I was expecting my son wearing them (still remember it ha!)  I  wore them coming home from the hospital with both my sons (because I could put them on easily even with a big bump In the way!) So safe to say I was a little bit gutted when they gave in on me!
My last pair was a gift from Craig because he had become sick of the sight of my old beaten up boots. They have only lasted a year! Well, perhaps they would have lasted longer if I was more sensible!
On my birthday this year we took the boys to high lodge in Thetford. It's basically a park with lots of hidden play areas, musical instruments in the wood, den building and at the end a life size wooden Gruffalo. So it's a pretty awesome place for everyone!  Anyways, because it was my birthday we decided to do something a little different.  We hired bikes and a trailer for the kids. We were SUPPOSED to go along the easy family route.  But us being us decided to go on the super hard, crazy, hills dips and nearly break your neck a few times route. The kids totally loved it bouncing about in the trailer and Craig and I almost passed out a few times but it was amazing!!
But, back to the shoes. During this excursion I was wearing the boots. I scuffed them against rocks, covered them in mud when I fell off and couldn't climb back up the hill for laughing and caught them in the chain a few times...oops. A bit of super glue and boot polish and I had got them back to a half decent appearance!
The final blow for my beloved boots was last week at Centre Parcs.  Craig, the boys and I all went there last Monday -Wednesday,  we couldn't stay longer (I'd happily live there!!) because it was a last minute thing and Craig couldn't get more time off work (boo!) Centre Parcs is literally my favourite place ever. Granted, I've never had a holiday anywhere else buy there's something about that place. Reckon it's the tree thing with me again!! It's the first little holiday we have taken the boys on and it was lovely to see them enjoying themselves so much. We went with Craig's parents (best grandparents ever!) and his sister and her partner too so they really loved spending so much time with their family. We had deers, ducks, squirrels (LOOK! A SQUIRREL!! - Danny shouted this every single blooming time he saw one, after about 50 times the novelty had worn thin!)  arrive at our villa each morning.  We went on bike rides, played mini golf, rode a pedalo, ate out, played on the parks, shopped, went swimming and played on the amusements. I don't think they stopped smiling the whole time! (Except when we had to come out of the pool, and Connor got really upset and called me a stupid head!)
Craig and I had a couple nights off parent duty too with Nanny Grandad and Aunty there and eager to watch Frozen (ergh) with the boys. We didn't take much encouragement to pop out on a 'date night' and leave the boys in their capable hands. So Monday night we went and sat in a bar,  played pool, amusments and drank a little too much! I even wore a dress and lipstick! How very adult of us!! Tuesday night we went to the spa which was lovely!  We tried out all the steam rooms,  sauna pool walked about in robes and ate the greenest apples I've ever seen. After all that loveliness we had to walk home in the pouring rain, and I had no hood so all the beautiful smelling shampoo and conditioner I'd used got washed away boo! Wow, I've digressed!!  Yes, shoes...well everything I have just written about was done in those boots...(there was a reason!) and scraping them against a small spirally radiator on the floor (wtf!?) against where I was sitting at one of the restaurants finished them off!

Maybe the reason I love keeping and wearing the life out of my shoes is because of all the memories they hold. Who knows,  that and being a creature of comfort! Anyways, let's hope I have as many adventures in this pair (and see how long they can survive!) So far they have survived a very rainy and cold Wednesday morning nursery run!


Happy Wednesday!  X

4 comments: