Sunday 19 March 2017

Note to self, have more duvet days

So today I did something I very rarely do. Something that I would feel was a wasted day or where nothing was accomplished.
You see, I'm one of these weirdos who always wakes up with a to do list. Certain things like getting everyone dressed and ready for the day are non negotiable and are true markers of my day. If everyone isn't up,  fed and dressed house tidy and hoovered blah blah by 10am I will mentally write the entire day off as a failure and feel like I'm constantly playing catch up. I'm totally aware of how awful and military like that sounds! But we have always been the same as a family so it's kind of the norm for us. I told a few friends the other week that my sons make their own beds every morning and they looked at me like I was from another planet ha!


So anyway, we had a "duvet day" today and it was amazing!  My sons' budgie died last night, and they were obviously pretty upset when I broke the news this morning. I asked them what they would like to do today to cheer themselves up and they really giggled and said they want to stay in their pj's all day and not wear pants.... This lasted maybe an hour or so before Connor was shouting MUUUMMMM, where's my clothes!? Danny also wanted to walk around with his Chelsea boots on because he likes the clip clip noise they make and makes him feel like a man teacher as he said 😂.

We moved the footstool away from the swivel chair and put a duvet on the floor pillows all the way round for Evelyn and we played all day. We coloured, I mean we seriously coloured. I had no idea how brilliantly Danny's colouring skills have become. I helped him colour the biggest seahorse at the front, but everything else was him!




Connor practiced holding his pen correctly, which is a big thing for him. He's a total man child and sitting colouring really isn't usually his choice thing to do. But look at his grimlock! We cut out bits of his transformer magazine and made new transformers, with two heads. He absolutely loved this, so did I. I don't get to really have a lot of solid one on one time with the boys very much right now so this was so lovely,  just doing something silly together.




We played with plasticine, the top creations were my mermaid, Danny's pumpkin and Connor's super worm. He then smushed the entire lot, about 8 different colours worth all together to make a boat for his kinder egg people and I had to hold in a little scream!


We watched a movie, did puzzles and played buckaroo, snap and operation. Minimal arguments,  minimal effort. Perfect!

So, today I've learnt to slow down a bit more. Colour that picture, make that transformer it's so worth it. I didn't get everyone and everything done by 10am, I didn't even brush my hair today (but that's pretty standard for me these days let's be honest!)  and nothing happened, we had a lovely day and even little miss Evelyn learnt a new skill... She finally sits up unaided, if only for a little while before she becomes a human weeble and ends up with her little legs kicking in the air.


So yeah, that's my little post for tonight, now off to do some eBay shopping for easter for the kids. Nothing major, some new scissors, finger grips for pencils for Connor, some little troll pencil toppers, you know total tatt kids love, maybe I'll write a little post on what I end up with.



Thanks for visiting XxxX

No comments:

Post a Comment